This article outlines a framework "to facilitate discussion and implementation of best practice in digital preservation by all stakeholders," the TRUST principles:
- Transparency - To be transparent about specific repository services and data holdings that are verifiable by publicly accessible evidence.
- Responsibility - To be responsible for ensuring the authenticity and integrity of data holdings and for the reliability and persistence of its service.
- User Focus - To ensure that the data management norms and expectations of target user communities are met.
- Sustainability - To sustain services and preserve data holdings for the long-term.
- Technology - To provide infrastructure and capabilities to support secure, persistent, and reliable services.
The principles are now in the process of being endorsed by various organizations, for example, the Open Preservation Foundation, which endorsed them today.