April 30, 2012
My hosting/publishing/sharing setup
D'Arcy Norman dot net, April 30, 2012.
D'Arcy Norman updates us on his 'reclaim' project, with some interesting links: "I’m running almost everything on my Hippie Hosting Co-opaccount, including:
- my main blog
- all media is posted there – either in a full blog post, or in the ephemeral media section
- I use a bunch of plugins, all listed on my colophon page
- links (running a self-hosted copy of Scuttle )
- rss reader ( Fever˚ )
- url shortener (Shaun Inman’s lessn, with no tracking or administration)
- feed2js, for doing fun things with rss feeds on web pages
- about mini-site. static html.
- 1998-style home page, using my instance of feed2js to tie in feeds in a handy dandy dashboard."
Hippie hosting? Sounds like it was made for me!
[Link] [Comment][Tags: Content Syndication, Books, Project Based Learning, Rich Site Summary (RSS), Web Logs, RSS]
Sherry Turkle – the flight from conversation… a response
Dave's educational Blog, April 30, 2012.
I remember my pre-internet days (they were not so long ago). My life wasn't filled with happy outings and intimite converstaions. It was filled with beer-joints and long walks by myself. It is though my internet life - and not through some mythic past-life full of coffee houses and libraries - that I find myself conversing with the world. So I get Dave Cormier's criticism of Sherry Turkle on conversation: "When she (Turkle) turns to conversation, she loses me entirely. She has either had a uniquely perfect life filled with excellent and constantly available friends, or she has not been honest with herself. She is hearkening back to a past that never existed. Creating an image of perfection, of utopia, before the present time."
[Link] [Comment][Tags: none]
This newsletter is sent only at the request of subscribers. If you would like to unsubscribe,
Know a friend who might enjoy this newsletter? Feel free to forward OLDaily to your colleagues. If you received this issue from a friend and would like a free subscription of your own,
you can join our mailing list. Click here to subscribe.